Cherry Tree

Cherry Tree

Friday, February 18, 2011

"House" vs "Home"

"House" is a building for living in.

e.g. 1. It is a red brick house.
         2.  He lives in a country house.


"Home" is a place where a person lives, or his family circle. The home is usually a house or a flat, but it may be a castle, a palace, a cave, a hut, a tent or any other place where a person sleeps and lives with his family.

e.g.     a)  Please call at my home.
          b)   There's no place like home.
Home is also used for one's birthplace.

You must not say:

"I shall be at my house".

Say:  "I shall be at home".

You must also never say:

"I forgot it at my house," when you simply mean: "I forgot it".

That is quite wrong. Say:  "I left it at home" or I have left it at home".

Exercise:
Write "house" or "home" correctly in the blanks.

1. He left ________ at the age of fifteen.
2. Mr. John has bought a _________.
3.He keeps a good _________; he provides good food and plenty of comfort.
4. I look forward to seeing my old _________  (birthplace).
5.You must put your ________ in order, that is, put your affairs straight.

Answers:

No comments:

Post a Comment